https://abundantenergy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Olive_Seasonal_MexicanSweetcornSoup.jpg 404 940 Bob Scanland http://abundantenergy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/abundant-energy-logo-black.png Bob Scanland2019-09-16 10:45:522020-05-15 23:46:14Mexican charred sweetcorn soup
Spice up your soup with punchy ancho chillies in this Mexican inspired recipe
Mexican charred sweetcorn soup
- dried ancho chilli 1 see notes below
- vegetable oil 2 tbsp plus a little extra
- onion 1 finely chopped
- celery 2 sticks finely chopped
- garlic 3 cloves finely chopped
- sweet smoked paprika 2 tsp
- ground cumin 2 tsp
- roasted red peppers from a jar 4 chopped
- vegetable stock 1 litre
- corn on the cob 2
- limes 2 1 juiced, 1 wedged to serve
- coriander a small bunch chopped
- STEP 1
- Put the ancho chilli into a small bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Leave for 10 minutes, drain, then discard the seeds and stem.
- STEP 2
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion and celery with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a minute, then add the spices and cook for another minute. Add the ancho chilli flesh, peppers and vegetable stock, and simmer for 15 minutes. Season, then use a stick blender to whizz until smooth. Keep warm.
- STEP 3
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan over a high heat, lightly brush the corn cobs with oil and season. Cook the cobs for 8-10 minutes, using tongs to turn them until really charred. Put onto a chopping board and allow to cool slightly. Turn a cob up on its end, then use a large sharp knife to carefully remove the kernels in a downward movement. Turn and repeat until all the kernels have been removed, then repeat with the other cob.
- STEP 4
- Stir the lime juice into the soup and add the sweetcorn. Divide between 4 bowls, scatter over the coriander and serve with lime wedges.