Thyme and leek tart makes a spring main course for vegetarians, or can be made smaller to serve as a vegetarian starter. The tangy leek and fragrant thyme work really well together to make one flavoursome tart.
Thyme and Leek Tart
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp vegetable boullion powder
- 4-5 leeks sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves only
- 320 g ready rolled puff pastry
- 2 tbsp milk
- 6 tbsp green olive tapenade
- 6 eggs
- Melt the butter in a pan with the bouillion powder and 2tbsp water over a gentle heat. Add the sliced leeks, thyme leaves and season. Cover with a lid and allow to soften for 10-15 mins.
- Heat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Cut out 6 x 10cm circles from the pastry, using an 8cm cutter make an indentation in each to create a border. Score the base of the pastry to prevent it rising too much, then brush the borders with a little milk. Bake for 10-12 mins, until golden and risen.
- Turn the oven off. Push the scored centres of the pastry down and spread each with 1tbsp tapenade. Top with leek. Return to the oven to reheat just before serving.
- Poach the eggs and place on top of the leeks to serve.