https://abundantenergy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/download-1.jpg 194 260 Corey https://abundantenergy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/abundant_logo-resized.png Corey2020-11-03 19:15:572020-11-03 19:15:57Red lentil dahl soup with broccoli tarka
Red lentil dahl soup with broccoli tarka
Check out our vegan red lentil dahl soup. This easy recipe is the perfect midweek winter warmer to feed the whole family, plus it's low in calories. Garlic and ginger pastes are available from large supermarkets, and are a great cheat when preparing Asian recipes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 red chilli seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 200 g red split lentils
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 150 g long-stemmed broccoli cut into large pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the onion and a pinch of salt. Fry for 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the garlic and ginger paste, and red chilli, and fry 1 minute before adding the turmeric. Stir in the lentils. Pour in the stock and simmer for 20 minutes until the lentils start to break down. Stir through the garam masala and lemon juice.
- To make the tarka, heat a wok or frying pan and add the broccoli with 100ml of water. Cook on a high heat until the water has evaporated. Add the vegetable oil and then the mustard seeds, cumin, coriander and chilli. Fry for 4-5 minutes until the broccoli is charred but still has a crunch.
- Divide the soup between 4 bowls and top with the broccoli.