https://abundantenergy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Jammy-Coconut-Squares-recipe.jpg 526 800 Andreja Scanland https://abundantenergy.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/abundant_logo-resized.png Andreja Scanland2016-03-21 13:11:532020-05-15 23:43:19Jammy Coconut Squares
These delicious gluten-free squares have a surprise ingredient – potatoes! Full of the delicious sweetness of jam and coconut, and under 300 cals a slice, these little cakes are a gem
Jammy Coconut Squares
- 250 g 8oz potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp milk
- 250 g 8oz butter, at room temperature
- 250 g 8oz golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 250 g 8oz gluten-free self-raising flour
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 18 x 28cm 7 x 11in tin, greased and lined
- Set the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Put the potatoes into a heatproof bowl with 175ml (6fl oz) water and microwave on High for 10 mins, until tender. (Alternatively, boil the potatoes in a pan.)
- Drain the potatoes, add the milk and mash them until smooth.
- Cream the butter and the sugar, until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and mashed potato. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 45 mins, until a skewer inserted into the centre, comes out clean.
- Spread the jam over the top of the the warm sponge and sprinkle with coconut. Cool, then cut into 18 squares. Serve with custard, if you like.