Healthy chicken casserole for cold winter nights, made with plenty of veg and butter beans for a filling meal that’s good for you too. The whole family is going to love this recipe, which is packed with nutrients but also something to look forward to. Serve on its own or with crusty bread.
Healthy Chicken Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion halved and finely sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 celery sticks thickly sliced
- 605 g pack chicken thigh fillets without skin
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500 g new potatoes quartered
- leaves from 2 rosemary sprigs and 2 thyme sprigs
- 600 ml stock made from a stock cube
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 410 g can butter beans drained
- crusty wholegrain or seeded bread to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C, gas 3. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan and cook the onion until soft. Add the carrots and celery and stir so they are all coated in oil. Cook for 4-5 mins.
- Toss the chicken in the flour, add to the pan and cook until lightly browned. Then add the potatoes, rosemary, thyme and stock. Heat until simmering, cover and cook in the oven for 45 mins.
- Mix the cornflour with 4tbsp water to make a paste. Stir into the casserole and then add the beans and cook for another 10 mins. Serve with chunks of bread.