This Hairy Bikers’ Spanish-style chicken bake recipe is a perfect one-pot wonder. The Hairy Bikers have captured the classic flavours of Spain in one dish – and it’s one of their diet dishes too! At just 370 calories per serving, you’d think this dish would be lacking in flavour – far from it! The powerful flavours of paprika and chorizo give the chicken a lovely Spanish twist.
Hairy Bikers' Spanish-Style Chicken Bake
- 1 medium onion cut into 8 wedges
- 1 medium red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 500 g new potatoes quartered lengthways
- 8 whole garlic cloves unpeeled
- 8 medium tomatoes quartered
- 75 g chorizo
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 green pepper deseeded and cut into strips
- Flaked sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the onions, potatoes, garlic and tomatoes in a large roasting tin and season with sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Toss everything together lightly and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, skin the chorizo and cut the meat into thin slices – 5mm is about right. Put the chicken thighs on a board and carefully slash each one 2 or 3 times with a knife. Season all over with black pepper. Mix the paprika and oregano together and set aside.
- Take the roasting tin out of the oven, scatter the chorizo over the veg and turn everything a couple of times. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and chorizo and sprinkle with the paprika and oregano. Season with a little salt and return to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Take the tin out of the oven. Holding one corner carefully with an oven cloth, lift the tin a little so all the juices run to the opposite end, then spoon and drizzle the juices back over the chicken. Tuck the pepper strips loosely around the chicken and vegetables.
- Turn the oven up to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Put the tin back in the oven for another 20 minutes or until the peppers are just softened and the chicken is golden and crisp.