This quick and easy soup is low fat and ready in just 30 minutes. Fry some bacon pieces to sprinkle on top, or add a tin of chickpeas with the veg for a more rustic feel.
Spiced lentil soup
- oil for frying
- ginger a small piece peeled and grated
- cumin seeds 1 tsp
- chilli flakes a pinch
- onion 1 finely chopped
- carrots 2 large peeled and grated
- red lentils 150g
- vegetable stock fresh cube or concentrate made up to 1 litre
- lime 1 juiced to taste
- coriander a small bunch of leaves
- STEP 1
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan and fry the ginger and spices for a couple of minutes.
- STEP 2
- Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes more then add the lentils and stock.
- STEP 3
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender. Blend until smooth or leave chunky.
- STEP 4
- Stir through a squeeze of lime juice and serve sprinkled with coriander.